Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user

Author: Jason Meers
To: Dean Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user
Hi all,

here are my thoughts on an "exim-archive howto" I propose writing. I
intend this to be a starting point for people who need help setting this
up, not the definitive example and reference.

1) System filters seem to be just as good as any other method for
copying and archiving messages. They are easy to drop in and out of a
config without having to modify or re-write existing sections.

2) Modifying existing routers and transports _could_ lead to problems.
Adding this functionality _could_ mean re-writing existing sections.

3) Shadow transports are not designed for "remote" transports which
would prevent the archive or copies being stored on a remote machine, or
might force us to keep messages in a mailbox on a public facing server.

4) The howto should begin with some VERY strong warnings about the
postmasters responsibility to investigate legal side of monitoring or
archiving users e-mail messages

---

I propose starting with a simple system filter like:

unseen deliver archive-server@??? (from exim the documentation)

Then adding:
first_delivery check (suggested by various people)
error handling - errors_to or noerrors (suggested by Phillip)
not error_message check (suggested by Dean Brooks)

Then make it filter:
by a specified domain
by a specified list of domains (read from a file)
by existing domainlist (such as +relay_domains)
by a specified address
by a specified list of addresses (read from file)
by existing accounts (such as local mailbox users)

The configs:
Deans example seems as good as any other I've seen for using as a basis
for the examples:

> if first_delivery and not error_message and
>    foranyaddress $sender_address,$h_from: ($thisaddress is "usertomonitor@???")
> then
>     unseen deliver getsacopy@??? errors_to nobody@???
>     finish
> endif

Last question, if people want to strip attachments from archived
messages (as I do) is this best done at the "archiver" or on the
"archive" itself (assuming they are different boxes that pass messages
via smtp)

Please review and correct me if you think any of this is just plain
wrong or could be done better. Code samples would certainly help. I'll
start work on this on Tuesday night once I've had some feedback in.

Thanks

Jason Meers