Re: [exim] alias and autorespond

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: alexis
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] alias and autorespond
On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:38 -0300, alexis wrote:
> 3. the behavior that my customer wants (i found this stupid too, but
> you know, customer is always right) is
>
> - if somebody sends an email to robert, to keep the message at the
> robert mailbox and also send the autoreply (this is working just fine
> right now)
>
> - if somebody sends an email to jack, to store that email at the
> robert mailbox (working too)
>
> - but, if robert has an autoreply configured, and i send an email to
> jack, i want the email stord at robert mailbox, but i dont want to
> robert send the autoreply if the email came from an alias.

Well I can agree with that - I don't think you should be sending
autoreplies to messages which are not strictly sent to that recipient...

or to put it another way autoreplies should not be sent for messages
where the filter "personal" condition would not fire.

For example they should not be sent in response to list mail - and those
doing so on this list find they are off the list rather quickly :-/

I've written notes on good autoreply habits in the past - in the
archives somewhere - for example...
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011210/033121.html

although you will see discussions (or flame wars) on the subject within
that thread.