Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email thro…

Author: Adam Funk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email throughdifferent gateway?
On Saturday 04 February 2006 01:35, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Daevid Vincent wrote:
> >> And Exim cannot do it (AFAIK).
> >
> > I don't see why it can't do it? If Exim tries to connect directly,
> > then it
>
> First, because Exim is not programmed to do it. A permanent error means
> the message is not deliverable.

I propose for the wishlist a router option that would allow Exim to pass
on to the next router if the text accompanying a 5yz error matches a
specified regexp. This would provide the function that Daevid and I (and
others) have enquired about: trying to route mail directly, but sending
it through a manualroute if that is rejected because of an RBL.

I do not believe this is inconsistent with the relevant RFC
http://www.rfc.net/rfc2821.html#s4.2.1
which states for 5yz errors "The command was not accepted and the
requested action did not occur. The SMTP client is discouraged from
repeating the exact request (in the same sequence)."

Note that it does not say the client must not -- or even should not --
make a subsequent request to a different host to route the same message.

Could the developers please consider providing such an option option?

--
Thanks,
Adam