Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email thro…

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: Daevid Vincent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email throughdifferent gateway?
Daevid Vincent wrote:

>> And Exim cannot do it (AFAIK).
> I don't see why it can't do it? If Exim tries to connect directly, then it

First, because Exim is not programmed to do it. A permanent error means
the message is not deliverable.
Second, if the message gets discarded at the receiving site, there's
obviously no way for Exim to detect that. There are major sites doing
this, so if you want reliable mail service, you should not rely on such
things.

>> You've been told solutions for your problem before. If you
>> want to stick with yours, you have to live with the limitations.
> Why are so many on this Exim list arrogant and elitist? It's really sad.

Oops. You are really the first person accusing me of arrogance and elitism.
You asked here about 2 months ago about the very same problem, were
given advice, but ignorance. Arrogance is a bad thing, but ignorance is
surely worse. People _tried_ to help you, there's nothing to complain
about. You want a "fix_remote_braindeadness" switch? D'uh, there is no
such thing. And no simple solution for your problem. And no _reliable_
solution with Exim or any other MTA.

> I assume you mean -- get a static IP or some such "solution" (which involves
> a financial investment)?

As I understand, you are doing (at least partially) business over your
line and you already pay for some obscurly limited mail-outbound
service. There are surely services that will happily relay all your mail
(probably up to a reasonable limit) for a few dollars per month. At
least there are here in Germany, and as far as I know, the US hosting
market has even lower pricing.
Another solution is to find a company that offers you a tunnel with a
static IP address.
You could even get a server or vserver for running your own
mail-outbound service, these things are not so expensive any more, i.e.
starting from 15€ (about 18$) for a server, 5€ (7$) for a vserver.
The last two solutions require some administrative work, so it might not
be your first choice.
Nothing new here, I wrote this before to you. If you think that's
arrogant, you'd better start a reality check on your perception.

> charge me $500/month for a business network line with a static IP. If you're
> volunteering, I'm happy to take your donation.

Begging a poor student for money? Shame on you! :)

> The "solution" that should be acceptable, Jakob, is to use a service that
> forwards mail on for me. That "solution" is working wonderfully, with the
> limitation of number of emails sent.

"My car is working wonderfully, with the limitation that it's stopping
every half mile."
Doesn't sound so well to me, but what do I know...

So, to sum it up, there is no way to solve this technically on your
side. What you're really asking for is a proper mail-relay service. Not
really a topic for this list, although there might be somebody around
who can offer you such a service for a reasonable price.