RE: [exim-dev] FW: Legacy EHLO AUTH responses (patch) 4.52

Autor: Andrew Johnson
A: 'Jakob Hirsch'
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: RE: [exim-dev] FW: Legacy EHLO AUTH responses (patch) 4.52
> From: Jakob Hirsch [mailto:jh@plonk.de]
>
> I understand that, I've been long enough in this business. I
> just wanted to know with which servers the behaviour
> described by you happens.

Specifically it was older Novell Groupwise servers, though adding the AUTH=
line after the AUTH line aparrently broke an old sendmail server.

> You wrote that the bogus authenticator didn't fix the
> behaviour, so this wouldn't be a question of elegance.
> Applying non-trivial patches is far less elegant than a
> little config change.

It fixed some of the remote servers, I just consider coding up a non
required authenticator to subvert an MTA into producing a required response
less elegant than having the MTA software support it natively. Patch or
otherwise.

-Andy-