RE: [exim-dev] FW: Legacy EHLO AUTH responses (patch) 4.52

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Jakob Hirsch
CC: exim-dev, andrew.johnson
Assumpte: RE: [exim-dev] FW: Legacy EHLO AUTH responses (patch) 4.52
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> You wrote that the bogus authenticator didn't fix the behaviour, so this
> wouldn't be a question of elegance. Applying non-trivial patches is far
> less elegant than a little config change.

I suppose I'd better say that I am not in favour of putting what is
quite a large amount of code into the main source, just to support a
very few hosts that use a doubly non-standard facility that was
standardized at least 6 years ago. A non-trivial amount of documentation
would also be needed. I say "doubly non-standard" because what I might
call "singly non-standard" hosts seem to be handled by the configuration
hack, so the hosts causing the problem under discussion are (apparently)
even more non-standard.

Hmm. I wonder what units are used to measure non-standardness? There's a
Christmas competition question for you... :-)