Re: [exim] FAQ - 0308 - I have a domain for which some local…

Autor: TAC Forums
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] FAQ - 0308 - I have a domain for which some local parts must be delivered locally, but the remainder are to be treated like any other remote addresses.
> For reference, he means:
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Routing_to_remote_hosts/Q0308
>
> Please include URLs to your references next time.

Ok. Will do that in future.

> No, I don't think you do:
> $ host xyz.com
> xyz.com has address 64.146.134.38
> xyz.com mail is handled by 10 mail.xyz.com.
>
> According to DNS, you handle your own mail internally, not through
> Yahoo's mail servers.
>
> Unless, of course, you're obfuscating. Please don't do that (and
> especially not with someone else's valid domain):

Ouch! sorry. Should have checked that out before using xyz.come.

> > I would like to install two Debian GNU/Linux mail servers, which comes
> > stock with EXIM in New York and LA, and configure them to fetch mail
> > (pop3) from the Yahoo domain and deliver the messages to the users
> > created locally.
>
> Why, may I ask, do you want to structure your email that way? Wouldn't
> it be easier just to deliver mail directly to one of your own servers

I would prefer to have mail received by a mail server that runs
24x7x365 days at Yahoo's Data Centre than my office.

> The big problem you'll find with a fetchmail based
> solution is that you cannot bounce spam.

I guess I'll have to live with Yahoo's Anti Spam service at the domain level.

:-(

> If you want to deliver such mail
> directly to the other offices, you'll need to use a manualroute router.
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_20.html#CHAP20
>
> Also, make sure that you keep your fetchmail config and
> "/list/of/special/localparts" in sync (if possible by using a single
> file for both purposes). Otherwise you'll end up with a mail loop, with
> fetchmail downloading a message to exim, which then sends it back to
> Yahoo only to be downloaded again the next run.

Thanks a bunch for this information.

Tanvi