Re: [exim] FAQ - 0308 - I have a domain for which some local…

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] FAQ - 0308 - I have a domain for which some local parts mustbe delivered locally, but the remainder are to be treated like any other remote addresses.
TAC Forums wrote:

> Question: 0308 is what I think I need. However, I'd like to post a
> message here to confirm the same.

For reference, he means:
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Routing_to_remote_hosts/Q0308

Please include URLs to your references next time. There are a bunch of
different places you could be getting this info, and they're not all
kept current. For example, the non-wikified FAQ on the Exim website is
not being maintained any more, as I understand it.

> This is my scenario.
>
> I have a domain hosted with Yahoo Webhosting: xyz.com which has 50
> mailboxes (pop3)

No, I don't think you do:
$ host xyz.com
xyz.com has address 64.146.134.38
xyz.com mail is handled by 10 mail.xyz.com.

According to DNS, you handle your own mail internally, not through
Yahoo's mail servers.

Unless, of course, you're obfuscating. Please don't do that (and
especially not with someone else's valid domain):

> I would like to install two Debian GNU/Linux mail servers, which comes
> stock with EXIM in New York and LA, and configure them to fetch mail
> (pop3) from the Yahoo domain and deliver the messages to the users
> created locally.

Remember to bring any questions about Debian configs to the debian
mailing list (see /usr/share/doc/exim-base/README.debian.gz).

Why, may I ask, do you want to structure your email that way? Wouldn't
it be easier just to deliver mail directly to one of your own servers
(presumably in NY, your largest office) and have it route to the other
offices as needed? The big problem you'll find with a fetchmail based
solution is that you cannot bounce spam; once Yahoo's accepted it for
you, you must keep it, and that means that you're forced to examine it
more carefully for false-positives before binning it because there will
be no notifications to the sender that you didn't get their mail.

> However, when users in New York (users 1 to 20) send mail to users in
> LA (users 21 to 35) or the other 15 outside (users 36 to 50), via the
> local mail exim SMTP server, it gives this error message

> Rejected RCPT <u@???>: Unrouteable address
>
> Will configuring the two exim mail servers as specified in the FAQ 0308
> address my requirement?

Yes, that will work, though non-local mail will be sent off to Yahoo,
requiring your other offices to use fetchmail to get it, just as if it
were from the internet at large. If you want to deliver such mail
directly to the other offices, you'll need to use a manualroute router.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_20.html#CHAP20

Also, make sure that you keep your fetchmail config and
"/list/of/special/localparts" in sync (if possible by using a single
file for both purposes). Otherwise you'll end up with a mail loop, with
fetchmail downloading a message to exim, which then sends it back to
Yahoo only to be downloaded again the next run.

- Marc