Re: [exim] Blocking From: <>

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Matt
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Blocking From: <>

On 2 Dec 2005, at 18:26, Matt wrote:

> I have a few users that have a certain anti-junkmail software. It
> supposeably bounces junkmail. The theory is that the spammer will
> get the bounce and think the email address is no longer valid and
> remove it from there list. I am so sure that happens. In reality
> most times the return address is forged and goes to the wrong place.

That's right. It will almost always go to the wrong place. That's
what we call collateral spam. Often, I have more collateral spam in
my mailbox than genuine spam. You should stamp out this behaviour.

> Is there anyway to setup Exim so when it sees a return address of
> "<>" and its not addressed to a local user or from exim itself
> refuse it?

Yes. in the RCPT ACL - check SENDER and DOMAIN conditions.
Unfortunately, you'll also be killing things like vacation messages
and other auto-responders. If you don't provide those services on
your server, you could be in trouble here.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster,