Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request

Author: Alun
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request
Marc Perkel <marc@???> said, in message
433ABA9D.3090006@???:

> How would you do that with a separate program?
>
> Basically I have different classes of customers and they use different
>
> IP addresses in the same computer for my spam filtering service. So if
> I could create separate log files I could monitor them with tail more
> easilly. It's so busy that the screen is a blur from scrolling so
> fast. It's a convienence issue.

I usually just jump into the Marc bashing, then back out of actually sending
a mail because I realise other people have already done it :-)

But... quickly looking at the source code, I can't see why this isn't easily
done. Admittedly I've not gone into it in detail, but couldn't the "open_log"
function do the string expansions on log_file_path every time it's called and
the "log_write" function always close the file afterwards if there's a dollar
sign in log_file_path? For most people, with log_file_path set to something not
needing expansion, there would be almost no overhead. For people with expansions,
there would be a whole pile of extra file open/close calls (and, Marc, I have
worries about how much extra load this would cause on a busy system).

I suppose one gotcha would be if the expansion yielded different values at
different stages of processing a message. The log entry for the message
would end up spread across multiple log files. But then, it would take a
fairly stupid configuration to get this stupid effect!

Am I missing something, or is it just a matter of some fairly simple code
changes?

Cheers,
Alun.

--
Alun Jones                       auj@???
Systems Support,                 (01970) 62 2494