Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
Marc Perkel wrote:

> How do you get Exim to talk to a Dovecot backend.

Is that a question?

That depends on the backend itself. Dovecot supports many different
backends. So does Exim.
To be more verbose: If you have all your users in a MySQL database,
which dovecot accesses, Exim can also do so and authenticate SMTP
connections.
As long you don't answer the question "Where does your IMAP server have
its userdata?", I cannot tell you how you can do it.

>> I already asked you two times, why you
>> need such a feature - you didn't answer that question yet, besides of
>> "to eliminate SASL".
> I've answered it several times. I will say AGAIN.
> Right now EXIM talks to SASL which talks to IMAP to authenticate. I want
> EXIM to talk directly to IMAP.

That's what I wrote above. But you did not answer the question, why you
authenticate through IMAP at all.