Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
On Tue 02 Aug 2005 15:40:09 BST , Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
> How do you get Exim to talk to a Dovecot backend.

That depends entirely on what dovecot is using as its' auth backend.

> I've answered it several times. I will say AGAIN.
>
> Right now EXIM talks to SASL which talks to IMAP to authenticate. I
> want EXIM to talk directly to IMAP.
>
> What is it about that that you don't understand?

How about we start this whole thing again...

1. You're using Dovecot for IMAP. It authenticates against something -
what? How have you got it configured?

2. You have configured Cyrus SASL to authenticate against your IMAP
server. How have you got it configured? Does it authenticate directly
against your IMAP server by making a connection to it in the way you
would like Exim to, or does it authenticate against the IMAP server's
authentication backend and _not_ make an IMAP connection at all?

Obviously I can't apeak for everyone, but I think I can see where the
head-banging is coming from - IMAP isn't an authentication protocol,
and it has a lot of different ways to skin this cat behind it. Instead
of making Exim, or IMAP, or Cyrus, the middleman you could do with any
or all three going straight to the auth data without involving other
protocols.

So... how about you expand upon the questions above? Then maybe we'll
all have a "eureka!" moment.

Graeme