RE: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Rick Cooper
To: Marc Perkel
CC: 'Exim-users'
Subject: RE: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?

[...]

What he is saying is Exim may be able to retrieve the authentication
information from the same source as Dovecot does. If this is the case then
making the call to your IMAP service is already redundant.

For instance, I keep all authentication, quotas, vacation messages, aliases,
etc in MySql databases and all users are virtual. My POP3 and IMAP services
authenticate from the data in those databases as does Exim. So when user
authenticates to Exim it looks up the information in the same database as
does the IMAP service.

If your Dovecot user database is accessible to Exim, then have Exim look up
the data it's self rather than calling something external to do the job.

Exactly how you access the database depends upon the database type you are
using. If you post the database backend you are using I am sure help in
making the actual connection and retrieving the data would be forth coming.

Rick

believed to be clean.