Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
Marc Perkel wrote:

> write complex authenticators, but again, I'm looking for simplicity

[...]
> It's not that I'm not happy with Cyrus-SASL. It's fantastic. But I'm
> just the kind of guy that like to eliminate steps that aren't necessary.

So you want to eliminate SASL, but want to keep your cumbersome IMAP
authentication? If you are really looking for simplicity, drop _that_
and use the same backend as your IMAP server, dovecot. TTBOMK, Exim
supports the same (or even more) backends as dovecot, so there is no
need for this additional step. I already asked you two times, why you
need such a feature - you didn't answer that question yet, besides of
"to eliminate SASL".

As Matthew pointed out, the answer to the question in the subject is:
"Because nobody needs it".