Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
On 1 Aug 2005 at 15:43, Marc Perkel wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authent":

| Fred Viles wrote:
|

| >It sounds like in your case, the only reason you are running the SASL
| >daemon is to connect exim to the IMAP authenticator. So I can
| >understand why it seems to you like an obvious idea to eliminate the
| >middleman.
| >

| Yes! Yes! - you got it now! That is exactly my point!

I think we all got it, the first time. How are you doing with
getting our points?

| >And BTW, you haven't yet made the argument that this is the only way
| >to eliminate the Cyrus SASL daemon in your own setup. exim supports
| >many of the same backend databases as Dovecot, are you not using a
| >common one?
| >
| I may be missing something but I haven't seen a lot of examples of Exim
| doing fancy stuff for SASL authentication.

It's not authentication specific. exim can do lsearch, cdb, dbm,
ldap, sql, etc. to look up data for any purpose you need, including
looking up valid usernames and passwords. Dovecot supports many of
these same lookup types.

The question was simply this: in what type of database is Dovecot
keeping the username/password data it uses to authenticate, and does
exim not already have the ability to access that database directly?

If it does, you do not need the feature you are asking for to
accomplish what you want to do (eliminate cyrus-sasl).

- Fred