Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?

Author: Nigel Wade
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?
.|MoNK|Cucumber . wrote:
> I personally agree with the invalidity of disclaimers to a certain
> extent. However the company determines the corporate standards and I
> have to abide by those. They demand disclaimers on all outbound emails.
>
> There is a different mentality in North America and Europe on the
> validity of disclaimers, more so about legality rather than the true
> intention of them.

Is there anyone, even in the US, who thinks they have any legal validity?
I think it's more a case of covering their arses in any and all ways they
can percieve, whether valid or not.

Also, shouldn't you include in your disclaimer something along the lines of
"this email has been tampered with by a mail transport agent, and the
validity of the contents can no longer be guaranteed"?

> However, there are major players that support it, ie: GFI's
> MailEssentials, Barracuda's Spam Firewall's, etc..

Which means very little...

> The reason behind it is so that if you by mistake email a document to an
> invalid recipient, at least you have mentioned that if you are not the
> intended recipient to delete it, and not to forward it on. This does
> have validity since incorrect email addresses are common, and it does
> stand up to some degree in court, at least in North America, as our own
> privacy commissioner has already checked into this. For example, if
> someone gets a confidential email that has no disclaimer, he has the
> right to say he wasn't warned that he could not share that info
> elsewhere. With the disclaimer (and the company keeping a record of
> outbound emails), there is some protection to at least protect the
> company stating that they did at least put a notice on the message.

If I receive an email I assume I *am* the intended recipient. The message is
addressed to me. If the sender didn't mean for me to receive it they
shouldn't have included me in the recipient list. The mistake, and any
liablity resulting from that mistake, is theirs alone.

> Anyways, I've used many appliances/server mail software that do have a
> global disclaimer setting, where you can indeed specify the font/size
> location of it, etc...

Disclaimers are pretty pointless in their own right, but to use a specific
point size of a commercial font makes them downright useless. I, and many
others, don't display HTML, so would never even see you had a disclaimer.
Also, even if I did decide to look at the HTML, the font you've chosen is a
commercial font which I don't have on my system so wouldn't be able to
render your disclaimer in any case.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555