Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: .|MoNK|Cucumber .
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, .|MoNK|Cucumber . wrote:

> The reason behind it is so that if you by mistake email a document to an
> invalid recipient, at least you have mentioned that if you are not the
> intended recipient to delete it, and not to forward it on.

But how the heck does the recipient *know for sure* she is not the
intended recipient? OK, sometimes it is obvious, but not always.

> For example, if someone gets a confidential email that has no
> disclaimer, he has the right to say he wasn't warned that he could not
> share that info elsewhere.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't put CONFIDENTIAL at the top, bottom,
sides, or anywhere else you want on confidential email. But I also
suggest you sign and encrypt it. Then any "unintended recipient" won't
even be able to read it.

And anyway, surely you don't want to put CONFIDENTIAL on *all* email? So
it has to be done case-by-case. Or do you?

> Anyways, I've used many appliances/server mail software that do have a global
> disclaimer setting, where you can indeed specify the font/size location of it,
> etc...

I rather doubt that these were MTAs. MUAs, yes. But if you sent me an
email with font/size stuff in it, it wouldn't do you much good, as I
read my email in a plaintext MUA.

> My ignorance is with Exim only, I'm new to it.

Ignorance is not an issue! Removing ignorance is one of the goals of
this list. :-)

> I now see that it cannot be done with Exim very easily, so we will just have
> users append it manually to all their signatures instead (quite the hassle).

If you can write code that does what you want - and this is not easy,
because it would involve unpacking MIME parts etc - you can run it in a
transport filter in Exim. But it wouldn't work for messages that were
encrypted and/or signed.