RE: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Herb Martin
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Herb Martin wrote:

> BTW, does the new book include the new details of the Content
> scanning options, including Decode, Demime, Spam, spamd, av-scanner?

No. Those were new in 4.50, released only a couple of months ago. The
book was published in 2003. My publisher has started to nag me about a
possible 2nd edition. However, even if I started today (which I won't!)
it would probably take the best part of a year before it hit the shops.

> Even the online docs are weak on these precise syntax in my opinion.

That's no doubt because the content scanning is much newer. The
documentation about older features has been picked over and criticised
for much longer. There's a fair bit of red ink on my copy of chapter 40
already, waiting for the next edition.

> For instance:
> AV scanning appears to be illegal from the MIME ACL but this is
> not clearly stated in the documentation.

Well, what it says is "When av_scanner is correctly set, you can use the
malware condition in the DATA ACL." Perhaps I should make that clearer
by adding "(but not in the MIME ACL)".

It would probably also be helpful to add, in the section on the MIME
ACL, a list of what is and is not allowed.

I've noted these points. Thanks for the comment.