RE: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?

Autor: Herb Martin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?
> >Is the book "Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent" from O´Reilly any good
> >when using Exim 4? What will I miss?
> >

>     As others have said, the new Exim 4 book is far better. I
> found our own book to be useless and Phillip's new one to be
> well written and a good complement to the online
> documentation. Definitely worth the price, and then some.

Just to clarify: The O'Reilly book is NOT useless -- I have
been solving real problems/configuration using it. It is
very outdated on new features, and would NOT be worth a normal
$35-$40 plus tax or shipping.

The new book is NOT listed on the US Amazon .com and comes with
a fairly hefty list price AND presumably a premium shipping charge
if ordered from the UK.

Would I like a copy of the new book? Definitely. Several people
have convinced me it is well written and useful in addition to
the (excellent) online documention.

Was the old book a good value at under $6 (total price including
shipping)? Definitely.

Has the old book cause me any problems? Not one. It is pretty
obvious what is new and what is old if you use the old book in
conjunction with the online specification document.

BTW, does the new book include the new details of the Content
scanning options, including Decode, Demime, Spam, spamd, av-scanner?

Even the online docs are weak on these precise syntax in my opinion.

For instance:
AV scanning appears to be illegal from the MIME ACL but this is
not clearly stated in the documentation.