[exim] Issues with exim communicating with another server ( …

Author: Jonathan Vanasco
Subject: [exim] Issues with exim communicating with another server ( rfc1413 ? timeout ? tls ? )
Note: I am using exim v 4.43

One of our clients just upgraded their mailsystem, which completely
broke our ablility to send mail

Last week everything was getting stuck in the queue

They did something to try and fix it this week, and now we get "Mail
delivery failed: returning message to sender" all the time:

    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

    localpart@???
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

I think that alone might be because of some internal exim clock related
to timeout from extended failures, because their system was broken for
a week

The situation kind of reminds me of the verizon issue a few months ago,
when they changed their system.
I do have these two lines in my /usr/exim/configure for the verizon
callout fix of a few months back:
    rfc1413_hosts                           =
!206.46.232.0/24:208.38.61.228
    rfc1413_query_timeout                   = 10s

And where does TLS fit in?

I noticed a starttls error in one of the logs. Oddly though, I don't
remember setting exim to speak via tls to MTAs - just MUAs

anyways, i tried telnetting into the foregin server

    220 SMTP Proxy Server Ready
EHLO
    501 Syntax error in command parameter(s) Domain name expected
EHLO mobwire.com
    250-uscorcit01.us.loreal.com ESMTP Server Ready
    250-SIZE 31457280
    250-STARTTLS
    250-TLS
    250 DSN
STARTTLS
    Connection closed by foreign host.

That struck me as odd -- shouldn't i get a
    220 TLS go ahead
off of that response?

It seems that they're advertising something that they're not supporting.