Re: [exim] Build warnings with Fedora Core 4

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: Exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Build warnings with Fedora Core 4
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, John Horne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone built Exim under Fedora Core 4 linux? I have downloaded the
> rpm source package from the FC4 extras for exim-4.51-2. Upon rebuilding
> the rpm I get a load of warnings from gcc across various source files.
> E.g:

> spool_in.c: In function 'spool_read_header':
> spool_in.c:584: warning: ignoring return value of 'sscanf', declared
> with attribute warn_unused_result

I cannot find a gcc warning option to turn on this test. All I can find
is the ability to add an attribute to the function's prototype. I
surmise that in Fedora Core 4 linux they have added this attribute to
all the standard functions such as sscanf that return results.

There were indeed a number of missing casts to (void) for sscanf and
other functions in the Exim source. I have dealt with some of them.
However, since I haven't got a system where the standard prototypes have
the warn_unused_result attribute set, I can't do a fully comprehensive
check.

Philip