Re: [exim] Issues with exim communicating with another serve…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jonathan Vanasco
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Issues with exim communicating with another server ( rfc1413 ? timeout ? tls ? )
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

>    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:

>    localpart@???
>    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

> I think that alone might be because of some internal exim clock related to
> timeout from extended failures, because their system was broken for a week

Exim will eventually retry, but by default it doesn't retry very often.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_32.html#SECT32.8

EITHER remove Exim's memory of this

Sledgehammer:  just delete /var/spool/exim/db/*  That removes all
               memory.

Scalpel:       learn to use the exim-fixdb utility to remove just the
               relevant data records. Like learning to use a real
               scalpel, needs a bit of training. :-)

OR

Set delay_after_cutoff=false in the SMTP transport (see the URL above).

>    250-uscorcit01.us.loreal.com ESMTP Server Ready
>    250-SIZE 31457280
>    250-STARTTLS
>    250-TLS
>    250 DSN
> STARTTLS
>    Connection closed by foreign host.

> That struck me as odd -- shouldn't i get a
>    220 TLS go ahead
> off of that response?

Only if the host is working correctly. :-)

> It seems that they're advertising something that they're not supporting.

This has been seen before. Often it is caused by unspecified or
inaccessible certificates on the server. The smtp transport has the
tls_avoid_hosts option so you can give up on such hosts.