Re: [exim] SMTP callbacks and greylisting

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SMTP callbacks and greylisting
On 6/6/05 6:55 AM, "V. T. Mueller" <exim@???> wrote:

> In fact, I'm quite p****d about folks using greylisting in a way
> that SMTP callbacks are rendered useless: we reject mail temporarily
> since the callback is deferred by greylisting at the sending site.
> Due to a[nother] broken setup there, their enduser doesn't get
> informed about the non-delivery. No second delivery is attempted
> from the remote site. My question now is: is there a way I can make
> exim overcome this situation? Maybe delaying the incoming SMTP in
> order to shoot off a second callback attempt after a while, hoping
> that bl**dy greylisting became satisfied in the meantime?

We do normal greylisting at RCPT TO: time, but defer <> and a couple of
other possible callout senders until DATA time (which is never reached for a
proper callout). This is code we wrote ourselves (a Python daemon) since
there wasn't anything stable when we decided on greylisting.

--John