Re: [exim] Mail Frontier

Autor: Martin Hepworth
A: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Mail Frontier
Kevin Reed wrote:
> We are just about done with a test eval of Mail Frontier's Appliance.
> It is a stand alone box that we pass all our mail through and it deals
> with spam issues.
>
> In our test, we ran our current system with SA and for the first week
> just had it look at the mail without any interaction. It clearly was
> catching mail we were not.
>
> We then added 50 or so users so that any possible spam was caught by
> its junk mailbox system and the results have been really good. It
> easily beats SA for catching spam.
>
> The problem however is the cost.
>
> Using their appliance with our current ~4000 users would cost ~$30k
> for the first year and $13k each year afterwards. I've asked for
> pricing on just thier software which we could then run on our own
> server in hopes it will be a lot less, but I suspect it is still going
> to be a too much.
>
> Currious if anyone else has been running this?
>
> As I said, the results have been great, I've not had to adjust a thing
> for more than a week and it is catching everything... but that will
> end tomorrow when the test keys end.

Kevin

ouch that's expensive - and for spam only or virus/malware too?

Anyway I'd zip over to the SA users list and get help for tuning your
system. (extra) URI-RBL's, rules from www.rulesemporium.com etc are all
worthwhile.

AS someone else said, SA is OK out of the box, but it took me around 3
months of a couple of hours per week to tune the thing and know what
extra rules are worthwhile before I started blocking stuff rather than
tagging (FP was a massive problem with our previous system).

I also get maybe 1-2 per week through and some users even ring when they
get a single spam through - assumning they don;t drop it to a shared
imap folder for bayes learning....;-)

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator