Re: [exim] Mail Frontier

Autor: Odhiambo G. Washington
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Mail Frontier
* Kevin Reed <tnet.services@???> [20050602 19:56]: wrote:
> We are just about done with a test eval of Mail Frontier's Appliance.
> It is a stand alone box that we pass all our mail through and it deals
> with spam issues.
>
> In our test, we ran our current system with SA and for the first week
> just had it look at the mail without any interaction. It clearly was
> catching mail we were not.
>
> We then added 50 or so users so that any possible spam was caught by
> its junk mailbox system and the results have been really good. It
> easily beats SA for catching spam.
>
> The problem however is the cost.
>
> Using their appliance with our current ~4000 users would cost ~$30k
> for the first year and $13k each year afterwards. I've asked for
> pricing on just thier software which we could then run on our own
> server in hopes it will be a lot less, but I suspect it is still going
> to be a too much.
>
> Currious if anyone else has been running this?
>
> As I said, the results have been great, I've not had to adjust a thing
> for more than a week and it is catching everything... but that will
> end tomorrow when the test keys end.

Hello Kevin,

With just ~4000 users, I'd like to ask you if you've ever considered
DSPAM...
There are so many success stories with DSPAM. Train it once and sit back
and let the users enjoy spam free e-mailing. No need to tweak like is
required for SA.

http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com
http://dspamwiki.woozle.org/

http://dspamwiki.woozle.org/giki.cgi?p=DspamWithExim
http://dspamwiki.woozle.org/giki.cgi?p=DspamWithEximAndSpamAssassin

With your competence, I am also sure you can build an Appliance with
dspam. Grab the source and look at dspam-3.4.7/doc/appliance.txt - all
the howto is there, for free. It's written for Postfix, but I believe it
will be trivial for you to translate it for Exim!

You can then contribute US$ 2,000 to DSPAM project, making a saving of a
whooping ~$28k ! ... and Jonathan will buy a server he really needs ;)

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                    . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com            . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223            . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121            . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post