Re: [exim] Exim big plans

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: Michael da Silva Pereira
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim big plans
On May 16, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Michael da Silva Pereira wrote:

> Good day all,
>
> I have a couple of ideas for my own home built exim mail cluster, I
> wonder
> if the people of the list can't comment on the ideas:
>
> 1.) Exim will save all mails to a SNAP server over the net using NFS.
> 2.) Exim is going to use a SQL server for authetication.
> 3.) Qpopper works with the SQL server for auth and will be hosted on a
> different server. (problem is no imap support :(

Will echo Nigel's comments on this: Qpopper is not hot. Use Maildirs.

Also, SQL sounds at first glance like a great choice but its actually
not depending on the number of users you have to deal with.

Personally, I use OpenLDAP for the user db, with Courier-IMAP for
POP3 and IMAP access, Exim (of course) and Maildirs saved on a big
EMC NFS system. Works great.

If you're dead set on the SQL route, the above works fine with MySQL
and the Virtual Exim (http://silverwraith.com/vexim/ ) admin package
is a great start for most needs. They recommend a differen pop3
daemon, but really courier-imap is the best.

lastly, use Exiscan-ACL to do your Virus/Spam scanning - now included
free in exim!. ClamAV is a great free AV engine that you can use.

Good luck with it all :)

Regards,

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw / Systems Engineer
Systems Engineering

Tokyo Bldg 4F 3-32-7 Hongo Bunkyo-ku Tokyo 113-0033 Japan
Tel. +81.3.3817.8995 Fax. +81.3.3812.4051
mailto:nathan@valuecommerce.co.jp

"Propose to an Englishman any principle, or any instrument, however
admirable, and you will observe that the whole effort of the
English mind
is directed to find a difficulty, a defect, or an impossiblity in
it. If you speak
to him of a machine for peeling a potato, he will pronounce it
impossible:
if you peel a potato with it before his eyes, he will declare it
useless,
because it will not slice a pineapple." - Charles Babbage