Re: [exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43

Author: Matthias Wimmer
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43
Hi Michael!

Michael Haardt schrieb am 2005-04-06 12:15:32:
> Just a suggestion: Next time, ask the postmaster of the concerned system.
> Well, you reached me anyway. ;-) It would have been interesting to see
> what Exim logs when this happens.

Well you might be the exception, but most of the time if I try to
contact a postmaster, messages never get answered. Most postmaster
accounts of domains used by more or less public accounts seem to be just
ignored.

> I am not aware of a particular problem with 4.43 and pipelining, but I
> was just in the process of upgrading from 4.43 to the current snapshot,
> called 4.51, for other reasons. Please have a look at your system if
> Courier still fails to deliver mails to mx.freenet.de. If so, please
> report date/time/IP of your connection attempts and I will check it on
> my side.

Well I must agree, that should have checked this better before writing to
the list.

I now checked it. As I said all mailservers I have this problem with are
Exim servers. Upgrading the mailserver on freenet.de to version 4.51 did
not help.
I did not find any other 4.43 or 4.51 mailserver I sent mail to today,
but I could send mail to the following Exim mailservers, which include
versions between the two above:

mail.schleif-online.de        version 4.50
riverstone.homeunix.net        version 3.35
sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk        version 4.44
inpost1.zedat.fu-berlin.de    version 4.50
mail.sourceforge.net        version 4.41
postern.intechnology.co.uk    version 4.43

On of the attempts was at 2005-04-06 16:10:56 UTC (starttime), where I
tried to deliver three mails from a mailserver with the source IP
address 212.112.238.55.

A tcpdump of the three sessions for the three emails is on
http://web.amessage.info/freenet.dump (STARTTLS is disabled for this
sessions to see what is going on - doesn't work with STARTTLS either).

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Fon: +49-(0)70 0770 07770          http://web.amessage.info