Re: [exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 06:14:13PM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> I now checked it. As I said all mailservers I have this problem with are
> Exim servers. Upgrading the mailserver on freenet.de to version 4.51 did
> not help.

Ok, so there are others, but is must be something in the configuration,
as some Exim servers also work for you.

> On of the attempts was at 2005-04-06 16:10:56 UTC (starttime), where I
> tried to deliver three mails from a mailserver with the source IP
> address 212.112.238.55.

2005-04-06 18:10:44 SMTP connection from [212.112.238.55] (TCP/IP connection count = 147)

And that's all Exim ever logged for this connection. It's like the
Exim process just disappeared without a parent noticing it crashing,
but in fact I don't even if it crashed. The machine is too busy for
process accounting, which would tell.

> A tcpdump of the three sessions for the three emails is on
> http://web.amessage.info/freenet.dump (STARTTLS is disabled for this
> sessions to see what is going on - doesn't work with STARTTLS either).

I fail to see the session above, but I see this:

; host -t any schwulst.de
schwulst.de has IPv6 address 2001:6f8:900:48c::2
schwulst.de descriptive text "hosted by eniac.de"
schwulst.de descriptive text "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.eniac.de"
schwulst.de mail is handled by 10 mailin.eniac.de.
schwulst.de has address 212.112.227.130
schwulst.de has SOA record ns.eniac.de. hostmaster.eniac.de. 2004061706 28800 7200 604800 3600
schwulst.de name server ns.eniac.de.
schwulst.de name server ns.eniac.info.
schwulst.de name server ns.amessage.biz.

I do have SPF enabled, but just tag messages with its result to find
out how often it would have done the right thing. Indeed your server
responded with this record to my MX. Your SPF record "_spf.eniac.de"
is too long to be transmitted by UDP and will be transmitted by TCP.
Its entry appears to be served by the same machine, but I don't see
my MX asking for it, which means it was either cached or Exim died
before.

I disabled SPF checks for now. Please try again.

Michael