[exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43

Author: Matthias Wimmer
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] PIPELINING in exim 4.43
Hi!

I am administering several mailservers based on the Courier mailserver
and for some time, I have now discovered problems delivering mails to
other mailservers, that run Exim version 4.43 (most notably freenet.de,
an ISP in Germany).
I get the very stupid error message "No such file or directory" from
Courier but after some debugging, I found out, that the reason why I get
an error is a closed connection, caused by the following problem:

Courier sends the RCPT and DATA commands of SMTP pipelined in the _same_
TCP packet and this packet is never replied by Exim 4.43 running von
freenet.de (but have it on other hosts like utanet.at - Exim 4.43 - as
well).

The SMTP exchange is like this:

- Courier->Exim        Connect
- Exim->Courier     SMTP greeting
- Courier->Exim        EHLO ...
- Exim->Courier        Capability list, including PIPELINING
- Courier->Exim        MAIL ...
- Exim->Courier        250 OK
- Courier->Exim        RCPT To:<...>\r\nDATA\r\n
- [nothing for some time]
- Exim closing the TCP/IP connection

My question is: Is this a know problem in this version of Exim? Has it
been fixed in newer versions of Exim?

I know that version 4.43 shouldn't be used, but I am not operating the
mailserver, that uses this version, I just want to deliver email there.
I tried to find information about this problem in the archives of this
list as well as by using Google, but did not find anything. I hope
somebody can give me some information.

(If it is needed, I can provide a tcpdump of the failed delivery
attempts.)

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--