Re: [exim] local_part_suffix = -* not working for recipient …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] local_part_suffix = -* not working for recipient verify?
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> it appears that
>
>    local_part_suffix_optional
>    local_part_suffix = -*

> is not applied when routers are working in recipient verify mode.

> The router on which I have tested this is:
>
> cyrus_ltcp_overtcp:
>    driver = accept
>    domains = +local_domains
>    local_part_suffix_optional
>    local_part_suffix = -*
>    transport = cyrus_ltcp
> #    verify_only = true

1. Since you do no tests on the local part in the router, the suffix
options will not have any effect. The only use of those options on an
"accept" router is to set the relevant variables. These might be used in
other router options (but you have none) and/or during delivery by the
transport.

2. However, you aren't delivering, you are verifying, so there is no
delivery. The transport is not run.

3. Therefore, I can't understand what you expected those options to do.

I'm guessing that you misunderstood the manual - which could be clearer,
I agree.

> What am I missing then of:
>
>     During the testing of the "local_parts" option, and while the router is
>     running, the prefix is removed from the local part, and is available in
>     the expansion variable $local_part_prefix. If the router accepts the
>     address, this remains true during subsequent delivery.

What that means is "subsequent delivery by the transport mentioned in
this router when delivering a message".