Re: [exim] Best of both worlds?

Author: Brian
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Best of both worlds?
Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> why did you comment out the answer?
>
> You'll find in the spec.txt file:
>
> verify = recipient/defer_ok/callout=10s,defer_ok
>
> [....]
> | .   If there is a defer error while doing verification routing, the
> ACL       |     normally returns 'defer'. However, if you include
> "defer_ok" in the       |     options, the condition is forced to be
> true instead. Note that this is a  |     main verification option as
> well as a suboption for callouts.

> (note that without defer_ok I think you would just return a temporary
> error).
>
> Giuliano

It actually does give a temporary error anyway.

2005-03-22 00:12:57 H=(xxx.org) [216.12.xxx.209] F=<wsmith@???>
temporarily rejected RCPT <amanda@???>: could not connect to
63.127.yyy.50 [63.127.yyy.50]: Connection refused
2005-03-22 00:12:57 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command
from (xxx.org) [216.12.yyy.209]

This was from trying to verify the recipient at that time, it was unable
to connect to the 63.127.yyy.50 host so exim issued a temp defer.

I think it was because it could not verify the recipient (positively or
negatively) hence a deferral.

But I would like to accept this message rather than defer it, *only*
because I cannot talk to the remote host.

still thinking about how this could be done if re-written differently.

..