Re: [exim] Best of both worlds?

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Brian, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] Best of both worlds?
At 3:23 pm -0500 2005/03/22, Brian wrote:
>We have an exim mail hub filtering mail for some domains working quite nicely.
>
>We have recently added recipient verification and this prevents us
>from taking mails for users that do not exist on remote servers.

[...]
>So the problem comes (always after the great discovery) when a
>remote server is now down. and we cannot verify recipients with
>them. We would still like to accept the message (even though we
>cannot verify it) b/c we would rather be safe than sorry.
>
># remote recipient callout
>deny message    = We do not take mail for - <$local_part@$domain>
>  #!verify       = recipient/callout=15s,defer_ok
>  !verify        = recipient/callout
>  log_message    = Bad remote recipient

>is there something like:
>
>!verify = recipient/callout=30s,accept_ok
>
>meaning that, if I can verify that the recipient *doesn't* exist
>then deny it, else take it..

why did you comment out the answer?

You'll find in the spec.txt file:

verify = recipient/defer_ok/callout=10s,defer_ok

[....]
| . If there is a defer error while doing verification routing, the

ACL       |     normally returns 'defer'. However, if you include
"defer_ok" in the       |     options, the condition is forced to be
true instead. Note that this is a  |     main verification option as
well as a suboption for callouts.

(note that without defer_ok I think you would just return a temporary error).

Giuliano