Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)

Author: Russ Pitman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)

Hello Marc
In explanation

> Russ Pitman wrote:

> >Connected to westnet.com.au via adsl with a fixed IP thru an IpCop
> >firewall.

Westnet's 'fixed IP' still requires pop retrieval,I overlooked Fetchmail
below :-(

> >BTW the problem exists with the firewall taken out of the circuit
> >
> >Mail software is Exim4,Mutt,Procmail. All inbound mail works fine but any
> >outbound mail addressed to eg.'<validname>@westnet.com.au' generates an
> >'unrouteable address' error, with the exception of my username,which is
> >delivered normally.
> >
> >Attached is the output of 'exim4 -d -bt cpitman@???' and
> >/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.'
>
> 2 problems:
> 1) update-exim4.conf.conf is a Debian-specific file; 99% of the folks on
> this list don't know anything about it.
>
> Marc Haber: in the new packages, you should add a warning comment to
> this file when you generate it, pointing to
> pkg-exim4-users@??? for debian-specific support.

That would help, there may be a reference somewhere in the doc's but it
doesn't appear to be self evident.

> 2) You have your ISP's domain listed in dc_other_hostnames, which means
> that you're treating it as a local domain. That's incorrect. All mail
> to westnet.com.au, including to your own address, should be delivered to
> your ISP's machines, not yours. You should be using fetchmail or
> something to pick up mail for your address and deliver it to your local
> account.

Agree,in which case dc_other_hostnames would be blank. I tried that also
previously but no difference in the result.

No matter I'll take this to the other list and maybe hassle westnet,in any
event thanks for reply and the url.

--
Russ.