Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Russ Pitman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)
Russ Pitman wrote:

> Connected to westnet.com.au via adsl with a fixed IP thru an IpCop firewall.
> BTW the problem exists with the firewall taken out of the circuit
>
> Mail software is Exim4,Mutt,Procmail. All inbound mail works fine but any
> outbound mail addressed to eg.'<validname>@westnet.com.au' generates an
> 'unrouteable address' error, with the exception of my username,which is
> delivered normally.
>
> Attached is the output of 'exim4 -d -bt cpitman@???' and
> /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.'

2 problems:
1) update-exim4.conf.conf is a Debian-specific file; 99% of the folks on
this list don't know anything about it.

Marc Haber: in the new packages, you should add a warning comment to
this file when you generate it, pointing to
pkg-exim4-users@??? for debian-specific support.

2) You have your ISP's domain listed in dc_other_hostnames, which means
that you're treating it as a local domain. That's incorrect. All mail
to westnet.com.au, including to your own address, should be delivered to
your ISP's machines, not yours. You should be using fetchmail or
something to pick up mail for your address and deliver it to your local
account.

- Marc