Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Jonathan Vanasco
To: Marc Perkel
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

On Feb 21, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:
> The only reason people got aaway from open relays is bacause of the
> spammers. But if I solve that problem then why not?

That's not the reason.

Spammer Abuse is just a symptom of the real reason -- abuse and
unrestricted use.

Let's say someone isn't sending spam -- but someone is using your open
relay to send death threats with forged headers, or using it as a proxy
for an illegal attack or illicit activity.

People don't offer open relays because spammers use them -- people
don't offer them because of the REASONS spammers use them.