Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Jonathan Vanasco
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> The only reason people got aaway from open relays is bacause of the
>> spammers. But if I solve that problem then why not?
>

> That's not the reason.
>
> Spammer Abuse is just a symptom of the real reason -- abuse and
> unrestricted use.
>
> Let's say someone isn't sending spam -- but someone is using your open
> relay to send death threats with forged headers, or using it as a
> proxy for an illegal attack or illicit activity.

People can send death threats on any system. Has nothing to do with
being an open relay. They can't use it for any kind of attack because of
the one message per minute restriction. If they wanted to do an attack -
going through me would not be effective. They could just attack directly
or find an insecure server.

> People don't offer open relays because spammers use them -- people
> don't offer them because of the REASONS spammers use them.

But the reason spammers use them is to send spam - and this server won't
do that.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com