Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Marc Perkel
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays
On Feb 20, 2005, at 21:46, Marc Perkel wrote:
> So - the reason open relays are bad is because spammers can use then
> to send spam. But - if I have a really good spam filter that would
> block spam sent through open relays - then having an open relay
> wouldn't be a problem.

Joining the chorus here: I don't believe it. Unless you block 100% of
spam (essentially: 100% of all mail), it will be worthwhile for a
spammer who wishes to "utilize" your server to figure out exactly how
to get mail through it.

Aside from that, reading your Blog, I believe you would be better
served with SMTP AUTH; or if your users can't be bothered to configure
authentication in their MUAs, some pop-before-smtp scheme (such as
DRAC).

> My spam filter is good enough that I'm thinking about going open relay.

Hmmm..  I would say that sounds more than a little arrogant, at least
without further detail.   I presume you have seen "You Might Be An
Anti-Spam Kook If...":
    http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

-tor