Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Ian FREISLICH
To: Marc Perkel
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays
Marc Perkel wrote:
> So - the reason open relays are bad is because spammers can use then to
> send spam. But - if I have a really good spam filter that would block
> spam sent through open relays - then having an open relay wouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> My spam filter is good enough that I'm thinking about going open relay.

Trying very hard to avoid a knee-jerk response...

That is not the only reason that open relays are bad. It allows
other people to steal your resources. Why would you want to allow
anyone other than those contributing to the costs of running your
network to use your network?

Will your open relay route mail? If so then if your spam filtering
is _so_ good, why would you want to provide the internet with a
free spam filtering service? Would you encourage everyone to post
to usenet using an email address of the form
their_email_address@????

Are you bereft of reason or have your filtering abilities gone to
your head? www.churchofreality.org? hrmph!

Ok, so my knee jerked.

Ian

--