Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:15:28 +0100, Christian Schmidt
<christian@???> wrote:
>I'm interested in what the Debian maintaners of the exim package think
>about these suggestions.

I am not too fond of the idea to split exim4-config into split and
non-split part since non-split users can use the files that are
installed with the split config to re-generate the template file after
bigger changes.

Additionally, changes to the debconf templates are unpopular at this
stage of release since the debconf templates are translated to 40
languages.

I still think that dropping the debconf stuff for the default install
is a disservice to our users, but to make upstream happy, I'll discuss
this on the maintainer mailing list.

I will, however, try to make the docs for our config scheme even more
prominent to prevent users from pestering this mailing list for
debian-specific problems, but reading docs seems to be completely
uncool these days so I doubt that this change will have a significant
effect.

Greetings
Marc