Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around
Hi

I went out of town for a few days before I could respond... (Was in
Vegas for a trade show :-) )

On Jan 26, 2005, at 2:46 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>
>> 2004-08-31 08:40:49 mailman@??? R=userforward defer (-1):
>> failed to stat
>> /nonexistent/. (No such file or directory)
>>
>> The last almost three weeks of logfile shows NO retries at all.
>> Just a ton
>> of
>>
>> 2005-01-05 12:25:41 1C29oW-0004AC-00 == mailman@??? routing
>> defer (-51):
>> retry time not reached
>>
>> The retry config shows
>>
>> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,10d,8h

>> (there are no specific retry rules for this domain)
>
> Why don't you try a delivery with debugging turned on, to see how Exim
> is handling this message? Make it do a queue run for just the one
> message, so that the conditions are identical to real queue runs and
> the
> retry rules are inspected. For example:
>
> exim -d -q 1C29oW-0004AC-00 1C29oW-0004AC-00
>
> If the debug output (sent to stderr) looks suspicious, you can always
> send it to me for comment (though I am shortly going to be away for 2.5
> weeks).

Before I had a chance to do that, it "solved itself". I basically
purged the retry database and for some reason it started to fail a few
until the retry database got established again and then it would never
retry again. (Maybe there were too many of them in the queue).
Anyway, I set up a cron job to continuously purge the retry database
until all of these were gone. And then I added the retry rule that
Phillip mentioned in another mail to have it fail off hand and so we
are not getting the problem anymore...

> For the record, which release of Exim?

4.43

Thanks