[exim] really old mail hanging around

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim-users
New-Topics: fail instead of defer ?? Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around
Subject: [exim] really old mail hanging around

Hi

I have some really old mail hanging around in the queue. It is spam
that was addressed to a "system" user that does not have a real login
directory... In the passwd file it is shown as /nonexistent

The message log for one of these (148 day old) messages shows

2004-08-31 08:40:49 mailman@??? R=userforward defer (-1): failed
to stat /nonexistent/. (No such file or directory)

The last almost three weeks of logfile shows NO retries at all. Just
a ton of

2005-01-05 12:25:41 1C29oW-0004AC-00 == mailman@??? routing defer
(-51): retry time not reached

The retry config shows

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,10d,8h

(there are no specific retry rules for this domain)

I would think that this message should have eventually failed after the
retry period was over. But I have a ton of these for this specific
address...

What should I look at to see why this config is broken and stuff does
not time out? Why have there been 0 retries on this message for this
address in the last almost 3 weeks?

Thanks
Chad