Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> 2004-08-31 08:40:49 mailman@??? R=userforward defer (-1): failed to stat
> /nonexistent/. (No such file or directory)
>
> The last almost three weeks of logfile shows NO retries at all. Just a ton
> of
>
> 2005-01-05 12:25:41 1C29oW-0004AC-00 == mailman@??? routing defer (-51):
> retry time not reached
>
> The retry config shows
>
> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,10d,8h

> (there are no specific retry rules for this domain)

Why don't you try a delivery with debugging turned on, to see how Exim
is handling this message? Make it do a queue run for just the one
message, so that the conditions are identical to real queue runs and the
retry rules are inspected. For example:

exim -d -q 1C29oW-0004AC-00 1C29oW-0004AC-00

If the debug output (sent to stderr) looks suspicious, you can always
send it to me for comment (though I am shortly going to be away for 2.5
weeks).

For the record, which release of Exim?