Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*n…

Author: OpenMacNews
Subject: Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*not* w/BIND_8_COMPAT) failing @ make
hi greg,

well, after a bit of digging & mucking abt, i'm able to do what i need --
binding exim against an extern instance of -libbind.

basically, the solution on OSX required:

-- cloning an instance of the .../arpa/*.h includes from the bind9 source tree,
-- removing the BIND_8_COMPAT (via a simple overwrite) from exim's
Local/Makefile, and
-- changing the lresolv references to lbind.
-- cp'ing an instance of Apple's resolv8_compat.h

now, all build's completely. that's NOT to say that i'm at all confident (yet)
as to whether the solution is ultimately functional -- but, at least, i have
something built to test. which is exactly where i need to be.

your comments (and others, of course):

> It's also "standard" because it has the same API as most unix-based
> software expects to use in order to interface to the DNS. See the
> resolver(3) manual page and related manual pages for part of the
> definition of this API.
>
> The key thing here is that most DNS-using applications, Exim included,
> require the use of the resolver(3) API and they simply will not compile
> and link with BIND-9's new lwres library, and adapting them to use lwres
> is a _far_ more difficult task than you seem to think.

reminding/clarifying abt the standardiziation of/against the resolver API were
actually quite helpful. thx!

bottom line: one _can_ bind against extern libbind. but it's a kludge, and,
from what i've learned here, better left _out_ of the 'standard' production
system.

for me, i can separate the mod'd system for my own 'other' needs and testing
from a production system getting exim running out-of-the-box.

so, again, thx for everyone's comments!

i'm back to being a rank 'vanilla-exim' neophtye ;-)

cheers,

richard