Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*n…

Author: OpenMacNews
To: exim-users
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*not* w/ BIND_8_COMPAT) failing @ make
hi philip,

>> i've built my 1st instance of exim4.43 on OSX 10.3.7
>
> I suspect there are not very many OSX experts on this list, though there
> are certainly some. I hope one of them will be able to answer your
> query.

well then, if true, there simply need to be more! =)

>> cc -c -O -no-cpp-precomp -I/usr/local/bind9/include -I/usr/include
>> -I/usr/local/berkeley-db/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include/
>> -I/usr/local/pgsql/include dnsdb.c
>> dnsdb.c:39: error: `T_A' undeclared here (not in a function)
>
> I suggest you grep your include directories for a file that contains a
> definition of T_A. On my Linux box the file /usr/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h
> contains
>
># define T_A             ns_t_a
> I'm not sure where ns_t_a is defined.

fair. to no surprise, there's:

    ./arpa/nameser8_compat.h:#define T_A     1          /* host address */
    ./arpa/nameser_compat.h: #define T_A     ns_t_a
    ./nameser8_compat.h:     #define T_A     1          /* host address */

'tied up' with the BIND_8_COMPAT-related includes ...

>> is there particular guidance for where/how to link the external bind libs?
>
> Sounds like you might end up writing one. :-) The Exim wiki would be a
> good place to put it if you do.

hrrrrmmmph. ;-)

i'm thrilled there's a wiki! and will, of course, contribute what i can ...

cheers,

richard