Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*n…

Author: OpenMacNews
To: exim-users
CC: Tony Finch
Subject: Re: [exim] building exim on OSX against *external* bind9 (*not* w/BIND_8_COMPAT) failing @ make
hi again,

>> i think i've just learned something. the "standard UNIX resolver library"?
>>
>> do you mean that that "std lib" is *not* "from" bind, i.e. ? now that you
>> mention it, that wouldn't make any licensing sense, would it?
>> perhaps it should have been obvious, but i did not realize that.
>
> It is based on the resolver library from early versions of Bind. It a de
> facto standard rather than de jure.

good to know. thx! =)

>> ok. so iiuc, i *should* be able to build against an external bind build, i.e.
>> - *my* -lbind, rather than Apple's included -lresolv, but will still need to
>> implement some sort of compatibility mapping (e.g., a BIND_8_COMPAT
>> equivalent) to ensure that the lbind maps to the "standard unix resolver
>> lib".
>>
>> true?
>
> I believe the compatibility stuff comes with Bind 9 (I haven't checked
> though) so it should be just a matter of ensuring that your compile flags
> are correct.

and, you seem to be correct.

looking at the bind9 source, the nameser.h etc etc includes *are* in the source
tree.

although, i have a minor issue ... despite a 'successful' build, these includes
are not being installed in my installdir.

once i figure out whether i (a) have a problem, or (b) simply need to copy them
to my install-path include dir, i'll see if i can get exim humming with the
external bind.

thx again,

richard