[exim] Recipient verification errors & $acl_verify_message

Autor: Patrick Cherry
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Recipient verification errors & $acl_verify_message
Hi,

I am using recipient verification to reduce the number of pointless
bounces on our SMTP relay hosts. So I've added the following to the
SMTP RCPT ACL:

  defer !verify = recipient
        message = $acl_verify_message - see www.xxxx.co.uk for help

I have come across a problem whereby when exim cannot find the RCPT TO:
MX records $acl_verify_message is left empty.

This is the result of an exim4 -bh 11.22.33.44

451 - see www.xxxx.co.uk for help
LOG: H=(test.host) [11.22.33.44] F=<patch@???> temporarily
rejected RCPT <xxxx@???>: all relevant MX records point to
non-existent hosts
221 smtp.xxxx.co.uk closing connection

Shouldn't the error "all relevant MX records point to non-existent
hosts" be copied into $acl_verify_message?

If not, is there a configuration option that will do this for me? I've
already set smtp_return_error_details = true.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug/wishlist item for Exim 4.34 or my
configuration of it. I have looked through the changelogs to 4.43 and
not found any mention of this issue.

Any ideas?

Patrick