Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Alan McConnell
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 08:45:45PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> >    And then they occasionally wish to send E-mail to the
> >    outside world.

> Sure. And sometimes, they might write a message and address it to two
> people, one of whom is another user on the Linux box, and the other is
> somebody out there in the world. Have you never sent a message to more
> than one recipient? If you send a message containing
>
> To: local-person@mybox, foreign-person@???
>
> you have such a message. What you are asking for is that the copy sent
> to local-person contains one From: header, and the copy sent to
> foreign-person contains a different From: header. And the same for the
> envelope sender fields. Does that make more sense now?

    It is exactly what I want.  And in theory there is no reason
    why I can't have it, is there?  For, in my _old_ exim.conf
    configuration(I chose option 2 in eximconfig), all my local
    mail was delivered immediately, and what was left over was
    deposited in /var/spool/exim/input.  Why can not that mail,
    before it is put there(to await my dialing up), have its
    From: etc lines rewritten, to make it acceptable to
    my ISP?

    Of course, I don't know how to do that.  I grep for various
    terms in /usr/share/doc/exim/manual.html, and occasionally
    find them, but never in a relevant context.  I hear a lot
    about acls.  I don't know what they are, except vaguely, in
    a context of better protections for certain kinds of file
    systems.  A lot of people here know about such things in the
    context of exim.  I grep -i acl in the above ../manual.html
    directory, and I get a reference to Oracle.  Sheesh!

> I tried to guide you in my last response. It can be done, but you have
> to arrange for it to be done only for the copy that is going "outside".

    What I have done in the meantime:  I have run eximconfig but
    this time entered the option 3.  This time I do indeed get a
    nice REWRITE CONFIGURATION section, with some material there
    that does seem to be useful.

    For I now no longer need to call my machine 'patriot.net', which
    it is certainly _not_.  I can call it 'alanmcc', which it _is_.
    And my mail headers are rewritten and I can send stuff out via
    the mail server 'jefferson.patriot.net'.  All very good.

    A slight problem remains.  Any local mail on my machine e.g.
    from 'root' to 'alan' gets dumped into /var/spool/exim/input.
    And there it sits.  Until I dial up, and then it goes whistling
    up to patriot.net.  And there it sits until I run my fetchmail,
    and then, finally, it is delivered to me.

    I can, I suppose, live with above slight problem.  But doesn't
    it seem silly?  What do I need to do to get local mail, mail
    within my machine, delivered locally?

I shan't attach my new exim.conf, since I hope the answer can be said
in one line. It does seem that it has all the transport stanzas that
my other exim.confs had. It has of course a simple router section . .

I am sorry to bother the Assembled Wisdom with a eximnewbie's iterated
queries. My only justification: my query is reasonable and an answer
should be useful in lots of situations.

Best wishes, and Happy New Year, to all!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "We are easy to manage; a gregarious people, full of sentiment,