Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alan McConnell, Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Alan McConnell wrote:

>    To the above from Mr Hazel.  I can think of no instance when
>    I would want any traffic within my box to go out to the
>    outside world without my explicitly seeing it.    As I mentioned
>    in my first message, I am an individual living alone; but
>    I might be a family, or a student consortium, etc, with lots
>    of occasions to send each other E-mail about their own
>    affairs on the Linux box that they all have accounts on.

>    And then they occasionally wish to send E-mail to the
>    outside world.

Sure. And sometimes, they might write a message and address it to two
people, one of whom is another user on the Linux box, and the other is
somebody out there in the world. Have you never sent a message to more
than one recipient? If you send a message containing

To: local-person@mybox, foreign-person@???

you have such a message. What you are asking for is that the copy sent
to local-person contains one From: header, and the copy sent to
foreign-person contains a different From: header. And the same for the
envelope sender fields. Does that make more sense now?

>    My question is: is it achievable with exim?

> Again thanks to Messrs Hazel and Hacker. I hope that as an exim newbie
> I will be guided in the right direction.

I tried to guide you in my last response. It can be done, but you have
to arrange for it to be done only for the copy that is going "outside".

As it happens, I screwed up in what I told you...

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:
> >
> > You have to do the rewriting in the remote_smtp transport, as the
> > message leaves your host. This will require the use of a transport
> > filter, to rewrite the contents of the message (the From: line, and any
> > others such as Reply-To: or Sender:), and the use of the return_path
> > option, to rewrite the envelope sender.
>
> I think you've forgotten the headers_rewrite transport option :-)
> Have a look at http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/conf4.satellite
> for an example.

Indeed I have. I'm obviously getting too old and forgetful... there is a
much easier way than the way I described. Thanks, Tony.

Regards,
Philip