Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alan McConnell
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Alan McConnell wrote:

>    why I can't have it, is there?    For, in my _old_ exim.conf
>    configuration(I chose option 2 in eximconfig), all my local

I do not grok eximconfig. All I understand is basic Exim configuration
files, 'cause that's what I designed. Is eximconfig a Debian thing?

>    mail was delivered immediately, and what was left over was
>    deposited in /var/spool/exim/input.  Why can not that mail,
>    before it is put there(to await my dialing up), have its
>    From: etc lines rewritten, to make it acceptable to
>    my ISP?

I am afraid you misunderstand the way Exim works. EVERY message is
ALWAYS stored in /var/spool/exim/input when it is received. From the
single copy of the message, many deliveries may be made. In your case,
it presumably was doing the local delivery immediately, and then waiting
till you dialled up to do the other delivery. (Note that, as I've said
many times before, I designed Exim for use on permanently connected
systems. The fact that it can be used on dial up ones is useful, but
rather fortuitous.)

So what you describe above is just not possible.

>    Of course, I don't know how to do that.  I grep for various
>    terms in /usr/share/doc/exim/manual.html, and occasionally
>    find them, but never in a relevant context.  I hear a lot
>    about acls.

ACLs are about *input*, not output.

> > I tried to guide you in my last response. It can be done, but you have
> > to arrange for it to be done only for the copy that is going "outside".
>    What I have done in the meantime:  I have run eximconfig but
>    this time entered the option 3.  This time I do indeed get a
>    nice REWRITE CONFIGURATION section, with some material there
>    that does seem to be useful.

No idea what "option 3" is. You'll need to find an eximconfig expert, or
else learn about basic Exim configs. The URL that Tony Finch posted is a
good start - it does more or less exactly what you want.

>    For I now no longer need to call my machine 'patriot.net', which
>    it is certainly _not_.    I can call it 'alanmcc', which it _is_.

You never need to call your *machine* patriot.net. However, you could
call your *email domain* patriot.net by setting the qualify_domain
option, if you wanted to.

>    I can, I suppose, live with above slight problem.  But doesn't
>    it seem silly?    What do I need to do to get local mail, mail
>    within my machine, delivered locally?

Look at the configuration that Tony pointed you at. I didn't look in
detail, but it looked as if it does what you want.

> I am sorry to bother the Assembled Wisdom with a eximnewbie's iterated
> queries. My only justification: my query is reasonable and an answer
> should be useful in lots of situations.

There is no need to apologize. Every Exim user was once a newbie.
However, I don't think I can usefully continue this thread much more,
because I have said all I know about this particular topic. :-) And
Tony's config does give the solution.

> Best wishes, and Happy New Year, to all!

Indeed!