[exim] Strange problem with Exim & request verify

Autor: Bradley Walker
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Strange problem with Exim & request verify
I have a strange issue that just started happening as I setup my webhosting
server with Exim. Previously on the old server which used an old version of
Exim (4.34) this was never a problem. Currently I am using Exim 4.43.

When I have require verify turned on in /etc/exim.conf I run into a specific
problem, but I turned it off temporarily and then the problem went away. For
reference, both domains modemnet.net (my admin domain) and savelostriver.org
(a client) are located locally on my webserver.

The problem seems to be in relationship to MS Outlook and how it's
configured and through which POP account I'm sending the mail through. I
have two accounts in outlook, one is for my ISP's DSL email (citlink.net),
and the other one is for my modemnet email. Both accounts are configured
accordingly on how to get/receive email through each account respectively.
Although back in September my ISP began filtering *ALL* port 25 traffic to
their smtp server. This meant I had to change my modemnet.net account
settings from mail.modemnet.net (previous smtp) to smtp.citlink.net (my isp)
otherwise I could NOT send email at all. That means any POP3 account that I
check that is not from my ISP must have the ISP's smtp server for all
outbound email.

Here is where the problem lies when having the require verify turned on.
When I send email to the savelostriver.org mailing list from my regular ISP
pop3 account, it works great. Everyone on the list receives the email
including me. The pop3 account settings for my ISP are:

username: <removed>
password: <removed>
pop3 Server: pop3.citlink.net
smtp Server: smtp.citlink.net
return address: <mailto:username@citlink.net> username@???

But, when I goto send email to that very same list from my modemnet.net
account inside of Outlook, the email comes back to me with the following
error:

<listname <mailto:listname@savelostriver.org> @savelostriver.org: host
mail.savelostriver.org[69.64.171.88] said: 550-Verification failed for
username <mailto:username@modemnet.net> @modemnet.net 550 Sender verify
failed (in reply to RCPT TO command)

That error tells me it's being rejected because the Sender (me?) isn't
verified. Which is REALLY strange because the smtp server setting is also
set to smtp.citlink.net. The account settings are as follows:

username: <removed>@modemnet.net
password: <removed>
pop3 Server: mail.modemnet.net
smtp Server: smtp.citlink.net
return address: <mailto:username@modemnet.net> username@???

Is there any reason as to why this minor difference is causing this problem?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Brad